So I am going to make a confession to you all, I am obsessed with Pottery Barn. It all started when I was little and would hoard my mother’s Pottery Barn catalogs under my bed like a young boy hoards Hustler magazines. I would create little ink stars on all the items I would use to create my dream bedroom that was a mix between unicorn princess fluff and anything Jane Austen would describe in her books. Well not much has changed except for the abundance of power tools my husband and I now own so I am able to recreate things I like when I don’t have the funds to purchase my starred items.
One of the current PB obsessions I’ve been having is the Eagan Multipanel Small Mirror. I thought it would be a perfect piece on one of our townhouse walls since we have vaulted ceilings and the walls can end up looking a bit bare. The only problem I had with the PB version was that it’s a bit plain and I want everything on the walls to look like art. I wanted something similar but with the feeling of an old trunk used to travel on the train. Think vintage luxury. Here is what I came up with for around $15…
Please note that the mirrors aren’t frosted. I blurred them in photoshop so you wouldn’t see how messy our home looks in the reflection (I’m going to clean as soon as I finish this post).
Supplies I Used:
- 1/8″- 2′ x 4′ piece of hardboard from Menards ($2.39)
- 9 framed mirrors size 8.5″ x 6.5″ from the Dollar Tree ($9)
- flat black spray paint ($1)
- 200 pack steel brass-plated flat-headed thumb tacks from Home Depot ($3.51)
- glue (I used E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive, I buy the large tubes from Fleet Farm)
I started by pulling all the extras off the back of the picture frames (the moveable part that helps the frames stand up on their own, any staples, and any picture hangers). Then I made my measurements on the board to know how small to cut it.
My husband sawed off the excess board using a saw hooked up to our air compressor. We trimmed it down to 21″ x 28.” This allowed a one inch space between each frame.
I spray painted the board outside using a dollar can of flat black spray paint. I wasn’t worried about perfection because I liked that old, washed out look.
This picture is a bit blurry but this shows how it looked after I used my E6000 industrial strength adhesive to glue the framed mirrors on the painted board with 1″ in between each frame.
Once the glue was dry I pushed in (with help from my husband) the thumbtacks, spacing them 1/2″ apart. Again, I wasn’t worried about perfection. I did not blur the middle far right framed mirror so you could see for yourself the mirrors aren’t frosted and also my house collects dust at a rapid pace. My husband used a staple gun to add picture hanging wire to the back to finish the project. I hung up my multipanel mirror creation and now I’m wanting to make 1 (or 3) more to hang next to this one.
I hope you enjoy this diy!